1. You had about 20,000 thoughts
2. Your heart beat about 100,000 times today—three billion times in the average person’s lifetime
3. You breathed 25,000 times
4. The muscles that help focus your eyes moved about 100,000 times.
5. You blinked about 15,000 times while you were awake
6. You produced about six cups of saliva
7. You made up to three million red blood cells each second
8. Your kidneys cleaned and re-circulated about 50 gallons of blood
9. Your skin shed about 50 million dead cells
10. You may have fought cancer
Those facts truly are amazing! There are so many more. The nerves that send signals to our brains that tell us whether we need to put on a sweater, or take it off. The sensation that lets us know we are thirsty or hungry, and need nourishment. The ability to think through a problem and reason it out. And the body’s ability to take food and convert it into energy necessary for survival. That’s just the beginning.
The Bible has been saying that all along. Psalm 139:14 reads, “I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.” The word “fearfully” means “to stand in awe,” and the word translated “wonderfully made” refers to something being separated from everything else, to be unique and distinct.
Stop long enough today to consider the masterpiece that you are, and be in awe. Other creatures in our world are amazing in their own ways, but the human body is truly unique and distinct from all others. You may not be happy with your size, age or shape, but when the Bible talks about us being “fearfully and wonderfully made” there is no distinction made about what we look like. We are indeed amazing creatures—yet another reason why we should stop and worship our great God!
--Rocky Henriques, www.uticabc.com